last notes before sabbatical

Rosa Bonheurimage courtesy of Women in the Arts
this is my favorite part of the text taken from Art History Archive.com
"Le Marché aux Chevaux (The Horse Fair) established Rosa’s international fame, and was sent to Ghent, Belgium where the important Belgian art dealer Ernest Gambart noticed and later purchased it. Gambart had an office in London and convinced Rosa and Nathalie into coming to London to tour with the painting, solidifying her prestige as an internationally acclaimed animalier. During this period, with her success in England and the United States, Rosa became fascinated with the United States, the “new world.” Her interest was first piqued in 1854 when the painter George Catlin and a group of Indians paraded through the streets of Paris. It was later solidified in 1889 when Buffalo Bill Cody came to the Exposition Universelle with his Wild West show and his band of Indians in their colorful costumes. She had a fondness for the United States and its perceived vast frontiers and wild animals. Her interest in the United States would later translate into an important and special relationship between her and Anna Klumpke, a young artist from California, who became Rosa's special companion until her death."
I had a really special moment with my uncle Hanibal while looking at this painting at the National Museum of Women in the Arts. He is a really amazing guy whom I had not met since I was very young. We had a great talk and the beginning of a real relationship which is pretty cool.
He is one of the Montana family, so it was interesting to look at this image of such a powerful manifestation of nature. The men are the afterthought, blurry in the background and the corners of this triangular force that is rushing out from the canvas.this is another favorite I found in my research
image courtesy of rambles from my chair
.........

And also my cousin Louise recommended Eric Sloan()image courtesy of Eastern Barns
to me after I told her of my current fascination with barns. Old barns, worn and weathered, and also new barns which are still to this day structured much (based on my inexperienced eye) like the original design.
So I am looking into ordering several of his books, and I am looking forward to exploring how he might be able to help me in the exploration of my garment construction. And my desire to understand the smallest details of what must have been life in America: from its people to their tools.
image courtesy of
New England Antiques Journal
image courtesy of artnet

No comments:

Post a Comment